Monday, March 3, 2014

Inspiration Monday...Featured photographer

Another Monday, another amazing featured photographer. Her work is fun, colorful and cheerful. Her work always puts a smile on my face. From her colorful rich tones to her gorgeous matte edits, her images are always a pleasure to see. Let's jump right in a read a bit about Erin Beck Photography




 How did you come up with your business name?


I ummed and ahhed over my business name for a while but then decided as I was selling myself that I'd go with my own name!




 What brought you to photography?

I took a photograph at a wedding in 2009 - yup, it did all start from one photo, I crouched down to get a different perspective and people loved it, I tried from that moment to look at things the way I wanted to, it was more then OK to chop off heads and what not, it was more about the little things.




 What do you like to shoot?

I like to photograph babies and children the most, I love lifestyle shoots of babies in their own rooms with their parents just doing what they'd normally do, I do love some posed images, but natural for me is so much nicer.





 who is you favorite muse?



As an artist, Sally Mann, we studied her at college and I used to stare at her photographs, they evoke such emotion.





 What is in your camera bag?

My Nikon D600 and a few lenses, usually attached is my 50mm f1.4 or my 35mm f1.8, you might find some old sweets in there, you can have those. 





 What type of camera bag do you rock?

I've a Jo Totes Rose in mustard, mustard is one of my favourite colours... you can't miss me! An Epiphanie is all but a dream!





 photoshop or Lightroom?


Photoshop allllllll the way. 




 Jpeg or Raw?

I'll break the trend no doubt, I don't know of many photographers who shoot JPeg, and I've heard the capabilities of what shooting RAW can do for a image, I, feel, for me, I've just never needed to change an image so much - I try get it as best I can 'in camera'... plus I'm a Taurean and we hate change ;-)


 In three words only how would you describe your photography style?


Matte, Rich, Fun.


(that was hard) <--- those are my next 3




 Top 2 favorite photographers and why?


Annie Manning - She is perhaps the main reason I'm still here doing this (having someone believe in you is quite a powerful thing) she's been a very good friend to me, and her photographs... *love* them.



Argh! - I'm stuck now, there are so many... ok, I'm going to have to say... Adriana Varela, her photographs and style are fixed and consistent, I can spot her work a mile off and her passion for it...she's just pretty amazing.



 Favorite season to shoot and why?


Summer! - Late summer evenings... actually maybe that's not so true, I like extremes of a few different things, snow, heavy scatterings of leaves, long green grass, as well as sunsets... if you can get me all that, maybe a white horse, I'm sorted.






 What is your non photography related down fall? (example:  chocolate, soda..)


I guess it sounds quite a good thing, I LOVE going to the gym, I only manage a couple of times a week at best, my kiddos and my other job pull me in a few directions, but if I need a release from life I find the best ways are to grab my camera or hit the gym.







 What is your most embarrassing moment at a shoot to date? 



Having a memory card that broke and not bringing a back up...That little switch on the side of them, I didn't even know what they did and I accidentally ripped it right off - I wanted the ground to swallow me up, or magically replace my card. I had to admit I wasn't as organised as I would like to think.





 What is your one best piece of advice to give someone just starting out?



Wow, this is hard - I've thought I'd suggest that they invest in good books, learn how to use their cameras, appreciate that it's a journey, they'll make mistakes, come home from shoots and feel deflated and come home from shoots and want to edit away all night, it's all about learning what to do and how to be in certain situations and it takes time and experience... I'm waffling, it's a never ending journey of development and it's a long one... enjoy the ride.




 If you weren't photographer what would you be, any dream careers?

I'd be so many different things, I like the idea of something to do with design, maybe an interior designer, but then I love working with children and babies, I would LOVE to be a midwife or Social Worker. 






 What is you goal for photography for the next 3 years?



To feel happier with myself and my own work. I find that I doubt myself, my work evolves and changes to how I'm feeling, my editing can change and sometimes reflects the mood I'm in, I worry that it then doesn't look like 'my' work. 






To keep up with Erin's work follow her on her Facebook page here, Erin Beck Photography Please go show her some love. Until next time, XOXO