Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Inspiration Monday...Featured Photographer!

I am very excited to share today's beautiful work with you. The featured work of Sarah from Sarah Driscoll Photography blog is emotive soft and dreamy. Each image is story telling and filled with the most beautiful light. Please take some time to read a bit about Sarah and look at her lovely imagery.


 How did you come up with your business name?

Well, it's just my name…so that's pretty self-explanatory. Though I almost named my business after my blog which was originally "Diapers & Daisies" but I didn't want it to limit my clients to only babies…so I made a switch and put my name in there! 




 What brought you to photography?

Honestly I have always loved photography, but I never really knew what I was doing. In fact, I kind of sucked at it. Plus, I assumed that I would need to study it in college if I ever wanted to be great-- and I wasn't okay with being just mediocre. So, when I started my mommy blog, Diapers & Daisies, I slowly started to teach myself the basics in order to enhance the prettiness of my blog posts. Then, little by little and bit by bit, I just started soaking it all in. One day I woke up and realized I didn't suck anymore.  That was a good day :-) 




What do you like to shoot?

I love nothing more than shooting my four children (though now I am lucky enough to photograph other people's children and families). I especially love capturing the moments that are real. I am not much for poses and back drops; and I much prefer to capture my children engrossed in their adorable little lives than smiling directly at me. 




 Who is your favorite muse?

My four year old daughter is my muse. The way the light seems to follow her, the way she always seems to be in the perfect stance, and the way her face makes the most fabulous expressions. Everything she does is perfection to my lens. 




 What is in your camera bag?

Sigh. My camera bag is a bit lame. As of a few days ago I only owned a Canon 6D and a 50mm 1.4. But, after having some focusing issues with my 50, I just bought a Sigma 35 1.4-- and I am desperately in love. Other than that I have an expo disk and a some macro extension tubes!




 What kind of camera bag do you rock? 

Oh my gosh, this is even more embarrassing then whats inside. I recently walked into a camera shop with my camera and bag and the owner laughed and said, "you are carrying around a 6D in that piece of crap?" I blushed and went home and ordered something on Etsy. That was 4 weeks ago and I am wishing that I didn't order it from Hong Kong. I am not even sure the brand. I have my eye on a Kelly Moore but the wallet is still hurting from the 35mm. BIG DREAMS! 




 Photoshop or lightroom? 

I am 100% Lightroom…I don't own Photoshop. Though I'd love to learn!




 Jpeg or RAW?

I shoot in RAW, always. 




 In three words how would you describe your photography style? 

Soft, emotional and light-inspired. 




 Top 2 favorite photographers and why? 

When I found Summer Murdock's work everything started to make sense to me. The way she uses light and captures childhood absolutely makes my heart flutter. I am seriously considering driving across the country for her to photograph my family. And Candice from Blissful Maven Photography because her photos are unique and raw. The way every single one of her photos have such amazing texture and depth inspires me to get better and better. 




 Favorite season to shoot in and why?

Right now, I love shooting in Spring. But anytime I have the sun shining from behind some trees or bursting through my kitchen windows, I am insanely happy to have my camera in hand. 




 what is your non photography related downfall? 

Pizza. Definitely pizza. I could eat it for every meal everyday, forever. 




 What is your most embarrassing moment on a shoot to date? 

Well I have only had like 6 or so shoots with "clients" so far, so nothing embarrassing YET. But you probably just jinxed me :-)




 What is your one best piece of advice to give someone just starting out? 

it's been said before but my best piece of advice is to be you. No one else. There is no one more youer than you, so if you stay true to who you are and what you love, your art will reflect that.




 If you weren't photographer what would you be, any dream careers?

I would be a stay at home mom forever. There is nothing I love more than spending time with my children. They are my whole heart.




What is you goal for photography for the next 3 years? 

I would like to go from part time to full time eventually. I would also really love to teach others and become a mentor at some point in time....especially other mamas looking to capture their everyday with their babies. 


If you would like to continue to follow Sarah's work her Facebook again is here Sarah Driscoll Photography blog. Go show her some love. Until next time, XOXO!