Monday, February 24, 2014

Mondays Inspiration

You are in for a treat this week. Today's inspiration is truly inspirational. Her work in nothing short of amazing. Her style is light/soft but moody and story telling. She captures the essence of children perfectly and you always want more more more. Anytime I see her in my feed I know right away it is her work. She is also very active in the photography community and as sweet as could be. Please get ready to be inspired... Today's feature goes to Amanda Voelker Photography


 How did you come up with your business name?

Well, I wish I had a good answer for this, but it’s my name, with photography after it.  




What brought you to photography?

What really brought me to photography was the birth of my daughter in December of 2010.  I was and continue to be so enamored with her little self and I knew I wanted to capture all those moments.  I was saving up for DSLR, but it was going to be a while, so for the first couple months I rocked a sweet little point and shoot.  One day we were at my faux brother in law’s house, who is a photographer, and while mentioning to him that I was saving up for a camera, he walked across the room, came back with a Nikon D200 and gave it to me.  From that point I never put my camera down. 




 What do you like to shoot?

My favorite thing in the world is shooting my daughter and husband, but when it comes to client work, my favorite type of sessions are maternity, H.S. Seniors and lifestyle newborn.   




 who is you favorite muse?

I bet you can guess…my daughter, Scarlett.  




 What is in your camera bag?

A Canon 6D, 50mm 1.4, 28mm 2.8 and lens baby composer pro with Sweet 35 optic.




 What type of camera bag do you rock?

I’m currently somewhat rocking a Cheeky Lime Classic bag, but it’s super bulky and I’ve knocked more than one person’s drink over with it at restaurants when we’re traveling.  Because of that, I just ordered a Jo’s Totes Gracie bag and I’m super excited for it to get here. 




photoshop or Lightroom?

Both.  I use Lightroom for my basic edits and organizing and then photoshop for my stylistic edits, but they’re pretty simple.  I’m not incredibly skilled in photoshop and whenever there’s a truly destructive edit that needs to be done my husband has to do it.  

 Jpeg or Raw?

Raw




 In three words only how would you describe your photography style?

I’m super bad at these types of questions, but I’ll go with soft, emotional and joyful.  




 Top 2 favorite photographers and why?

I’ll go with current photographers.  
Val Spring of The Red Balloon Photography and Lindsey Bergstrom.  I’ve actually taken classes from both of them and they’ve both completely shaped my photography.  I love them both because their photography is beautiful and is dripping with the reality that they were the photographer.  They each have such a distinct style and each really resonate with me.  




 Favorite season to shoot and why?

In Italy, it’s late spring and early fall.  We generally have a lot of sun so I’m able to experiment with light in my photos.  That coupled with the softer landscape that spring and fall bring really make it my favorite.  


 what is your non photography related down fall? (example:  chocolate, soda..) 

Right this second it’s books about childbirth.  I’m expecting my second child, a boy, in May and I’ve probably read 10 books about natural childbirth over the past month and a half.  I would say I’m obsessed, and I’m pretty sure my husband would agree with me.  




 What is your most embarrassing moment at a shoot to date?

Hmmm, probably a lifestyle newborn session a couple months ago.  I was wearing maternity jeans when I really didn’t need to be and I hadn’t told anyone I was pregnant, and realized about 30 minutes into the shoot that my shirt had been riding up the whole time, so it just looked like I was some crazy lady wearing stretchy waisted jeans.  




 What is your one best piece of advice to give someone just starting out?

Learn about light.  Not just how to light the perfect photo, but how to use whatever light you have to make something beautiful.  That way you’re not limited to those perfect times of day and those perfect situations and you can ALWAYS shoot something spectacular.  




 If you weren't photographer what would you be, any dream careers?

Well, going on the whole birth kick, right now it’d probably be a midwife.  

 What is you goal for photography for the next 3 years?

My goals for the next 3 years are pretty simple, keep getting better and continue to develop my style.  I’d of course like to expand my business and become more widely known, etc., but all those things are take a back seat to just continuing on my path.  




If you would like to continue to follow Amandas beautiful work you can find her Facebook page here,
Amanda Voelker Photography Go show her some love. Until next time, XOXO