Monday, February 3, 2014

Monday's Inspiration, Featured photographer.....

         Today's featured photographer is one of my daily inspirations. She is simply amazing. Her work is authentic, moody and just plain gorgeous. Each one of her images tells a story that makes you not want to take your eye off of it. You want to see more more more. You feel like you are right there in her images. Breathtaking work. I won't torture you anymore. Without further ado, please take a look at some stunning imagery and learn a bit about Nicki herself. Nicki Bosch Photography

How did you come up with your business name?

It’s my name. : ) I actually was going to call my business something super cutesy (I’ll spare you the sugary details), but a wise friend reminded me that a.) my images aren’t particularly cutesy, and b.) my brand is me, since my images are the way I see the world. Hopefully that’s not too boring of an answer!




What brought you to photography? 

From as early as I can remember I have been obsessed with vintage photos. My grandfather was a hobbyist and took the most amazing black and whites of my dad and my two aunts when they were children in Italy. I also loved collecting vintage portraits that I would find at antique shops – especially old tintypes, and any black and white portraits of groups or children from the turn of the century. I love getting lost in those photos and imagining the lives of the people in the images. 

With each of our children that have been born (we have 5), I have become more and more passionate about capturing them in photographs and preserving all the simple moments and images that I have in my head – the things that I will always associate with each of them – a certain look that my son has when he’s engrossed in an activity, or the way my daughters always messy hair falls I her eyes. But I also love to play with reality and bit and make things a bit more moody or vintage looking than they are in our everyday lives. If I can somewhat “go back in time” in one of my images, it makes me happy.




What do you like to shoot?

Children. 




Who is you favorite muse?

My five-year old is my favorite muse. She can turn on the best moody looks in the blink of an eye, but she has the sweetest, most joyful and pure soul. She is always singing and humming to herself, she is very fond of girly vintage dresses and she’s remained a bit more “childlike” for longer than my other kids. Most of my favorite personal work is of her. 




What is in your camera bag? 

I’m SO excited – this past fall I upgraded from an 8 year old Canon Rebel to a Canon 6D. Best. Birthday. Gift. Ever. 

As for lenses, I have a 50mm 1.4, 35mm F2, 85mm 1.8, Lensbaby Composer Pro with Edge 80 and Sweet 35 Optics.




 What type of camera bag do you rock?

Epiphanie Ginger in Caramel. I LOVE it.




 Photoshop or Lightroom?

Photoshop. I’ve been using it for work for years, so I already knew how to use it.




 Jpeg or Raw?

RAW




 In three words only how would you describe your photography style?

Moody. Emotional. Old-soulful. ; )




 Top 2 favorite photographers and why?

Only two!?! That’s so hard! I have so many faves who inspire me on a daily basis. But if I *have to* pick I’d say Val Spring of Red Balloon and Alain Laboile.

Val Spring, because everything she does has a magical, dreamy and slightly vintage vibe to it. I love the moods she captures and the way she uses the light and colors to create a whole world of beauty in one image.  

Alain Laboile, because his images are so raw and personal, and he captures the nostalgia, beauty, energy, and simplicity of childhood in a way you don’t see very often. He’s a genius. 




 Favorite season to shoot and why?

Summer! There’s more hours of light. 




 what is your non photography related down fall? (example:  chocolate, soda..) 

That’s a toughy as I have so many! Red Vines and Rice Krispie Treats (together or separately) an inexplicable passion for the show Ghost Hunters on SyFy, over-shopping on Etsy, Jon Hamm … the list goes on and on.




 What is your most embarrassing moment at a shoot to date?

 Hmmm … Probably this one time last fall when I got up the nerve to sneak into an abandoned location that I had been staking out for months. I got the shot all set up and the light was perfect. I had to be quick because we were going to get thrown out at any moment, and I went to snap the picture and realized I didn’t have an SD card in my camera. Luckily it was only my daughter and me and my babysitter there, but I was pretty mortified – and bummed!




 What is your one best piece of advice to give someone just starting out? 

Shoot for yourself, and don’t compare yourself to other photographers. Your eye is your eye, and nobody else can see the world the way you do. Value that!




 If you weren't photographer what would you be, any dream careers? 

I’ve had a screenplay in my head for many, many years. It keeps nagging at me, and I’m annoyed at myself for not trying to write it. I’d love to actually get it on paper someday. Even if it never got further than my own house, just to get the story out of my head and onto paper would be an amazing feeling! To actually be a filmmaker would be a dream.




 What is your goal for photography for the next 3 years?

 I just want to feel as passionate about photography in three years as I do now. I want to keep shooting, keep trying new things, and keep exploring and capturing life through my lens. 




To see more of Nicki's stunning work you can follow her here on her Facebook page, 
Head on over and show her some love! Until next time, XOXO