Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Inspiration Monday...Featured Photographer!

Today's feature is nothing short of amazing. She inspires me literally every single post. Her images are soft, dreamy and unique. I know it is her work immediately when I see it in my newsfeed! You know by now I love images that tell a story and leave you wanting to see more and that is definitely the case here. Please take a moment to read a bit about Cindy from image421 and look at some stunning imagery!

How did you come up with your business name? 

A few years ago, I went through a " I love cooking so let's open a cafe" phase. My family started calling our home "cafe421", as 421 was our house number. When I decided to start a photography business, I wanted to keep the 421, and "image421" was created. 




 What brought you to photography? 

I have always adored photos. I remember visiting my great Auntie's house when I was young and spending hours with my cousins looking at old photos of my parents, grandparents and great grandparents.  I loved to look through photo albums. But the real passion started when we moved to Brazil from Australia in 2008, and I wanted to capture the postcard moments of our adventure. Very quickly, I started to feel frustrated with my point and shoot camera, and asked for a DLSR for my 40th birthday. 




 What do you like to shoot?

When I started my photography journey, I loved shooting the street markets, and food. Then I decided to take an online Portrait photography workshop. It was left of field from food and street photography, and completely changed my direction. Right before me were my 5 gorgeous children, and they have been so patient with me. My passion for portraiture has grown, and now children, mothers and families fill my frame. 




 who is you favorite muse? 

My children. I started this journey to capture our adventure in Brazil but my focus quickly changed. I began to see the beauty of the ordinary moments.  The details of life that are ever changing, and the emotions that fill my children's face. When I see my children pause and breath in the moment, well I think my heart just stops. Add some color and pretty light, and I am in heaven. 




 What is in your camera bag?

A Nikon D800, plus a 50mm and 105mm. 




 What type of camera bag do you rock? 

My camera bag is  practical but loved. One of my concerns in Brazil was security, and the camera alone was more than some families earn in a year. Thankfully, we never had a bad experience but we attracted enough attention as a big gringo family. So my camera bag is a Casecrown and army green in color. A sweet friend of mine who is a sewer, bedazzled it for me. It fits my camera, two lenses, my wallet, phone, and that's it. It is perfect for taking everywhere. 





 photoshop or Lightroom? 

Both. I started in Lightroom, and love how it organizes my files. I do basic editing, and then export to Photoshop for the finishing touches.  




Jpeg or Raw? 

Raw. 




 In three words only how would you describe your photography style? 

Authentic. Emotive. Graceful. 




 Top 2 favorite photographers and why? 

Katy Tuttle of Katy Tuttle Photography is at the top of my list. I find her work authentic and raw. Her images stop me in my tracks. I want to know more about the subject. I also adore Summer Kellogg of SummerK Photography. Her use of light, color and storytelling in her images is stunning. I met Summer in a blog circle, and every month her words and images fill my heart with joy. 




 Favorite season to shoot and why? 

Any season that has pretty light. I know that is not a true answer, but it is not the season that gets me outside but the light. Plus in Australia, we enjoy a relatively warm winter when compared to the US and Europe. There is no snow, and so while it may be cool, we still get outside in the cooler months. 




 what is your non photography related down fall? (example:  chocolate, soda..) 

Just one! I have many but at the top of my list are chocolate and coffee. 




 What is your most embarrassing moment at a shoot to date? 

My most embarrassing moment was after a family shoot at a park. We literally walked the whole park, as the children were collecting little bits of nature. It was a beautiful family session. The session finished, and I walked away on cloud nine. Until, I got to the car and found that the car keys I had stuck in my back pocket where no longer there. I walked back into the park in a vain attempt to find the keys, and bumped into the family. They then spent the next 30 minutes helping me look for the keys, and then drove me home. So not professional! 




 What is our one best piece of advice to give someone just starting out? 

 Practice! Practice! Practice!. Whatever camera you have, take it with you and shoot. Shoot in every light, and shoot everyday. You just can't practice enough. 




 If you weren't photographer what would you be, any dream careers?

It would have to be  something creative, something that celebrates color and life. Maybe that "cafe421". 




What is your goal for photography for the next 3 years? 

9 months ago, we moved back to Sydney from Brazil. I am in the process of setting up my business. It is taking a little longer than I expected, so in the mean time I am enjoying this spare time to really focus on my style. I am also working on a personal project that celebrates motherhood. I LOVE being a Mom, and the mother/child bond is something special that is  beyond words. 
In the next three years, my goals are to complete this project and enjoy a successful photography business. 






To continue to follow Cindy here is her Facebook page image421. Please go show her some love. Until next time, XOXO