Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Inspire, Create, be YOU...Week 2

Week 2 on Inspire, Create, Be YOU! So excited to be doing these. I absolutely love reading a bit about artists that I follow and that inspire me. I think a huge part of what we do is networking and getting to know fellow photographers. Its a big part of why I love what I do. I love meeting others and learning more about why they are here and how they started and what they have planned. 
This weeks interview/feature is someone that I found about a year ago maybe. I just loved the emotion in her work, the realness and the tones she produces. Passion uses from her work and you can clearly see she loves what she does. To me its so obvious when artists love what they do because you can see it shine through their work. I hope you enjoy these as much as I do. Without further adu, lets get to know Beth Urban of Beth Urban Photography.


1. What do you think the most important element is in your personal style? (example. Light, creativeness, perspective, story, emotion, texture, etc. What do you shoot for in your work? And what makes your work YOU?)

Hmmm, this is such a hard question to answer!!  I’ve never been great at defining my style but two things that always have me grabbing for my camera are dramatic light and capturing memories.  I shoot for memories, emotion, and light and try to see art in every day happenings.




2. What makes you tick? What keeps you inspired and pushing to be a better artist?

Photography is my escape, my place to get lost.  I love documenting the day to day events of my children’s lives and saving memories.  I’m inspired by so many things: my children, nature, past memories, remembered dreams, old family photos, things that remind me of childhood, movies, music, the list goes on…



3. Is there anything specific that helped push you towards your beautiful and unique style? And if yes, what was it?

In the beginning I was just focused on capturing memories, but after learning to shoot in manual and learning about light my style matured.




4.  What is the one thing you would tell others that are trying to break away from their present shooting style to start forming their own unique work and create from their heart?

Don’t think too much, don’t plan too much….just let your subjects and surroundings inspire you :)




5. We love to shout out to others artists here so if there was one artist who really inspired you to be the best artist you can be and really shoot for you, who would that artist be?


It’s actually my neighbor growing up…. Bruce Kelly.  He lived in the other half of our 200 year old, two family home with his wife and family.  I have so many amazing images of my childhood thanks to him.




6. We love to see how hard people have worked with then and now's. And inspire other artists and beginners and show them that we all started somewhere. Can you give me a before and after of your very first work to your now work? And tell us a bit about your journey. How long have you been doing photography? When you started what did you want to shoot as opposed to what you shoot now? Most of us end up doing absolutely nothing we thought we would. Example, I wanted to shoot newborns and weddings with a light, dreamy, whimsical feel. My work now is nothing like that. I shoot fine art and lifestyle with a very moody, emotive and gritty feel. How has your style and outlook changed?

I was always carrying around a camera as a kid and can still remember how exciting it was to pick up that little white plastic folder of pictures from the local camera shop. In college I took a b+w film class (couldn’t find any of those images to share!) but really became passionate about photography after my daughter was born in 2007. I purchased a DSLR and took a few classes at Mass College of Art in Boston.  I was happy with my rebel and kit lens shooting on Program until 2012 when I learned to shoot in manual.  When I started my style was more documentary which I still love, but now I also love fine art, dramatic light and freelensing.

7.  Can you give one thought on how to stay fresh, inspired and moving forward? What helps you? 

Getting out of the house and going on a ‘photo walk’ with my 8 year old always inspires me. I love spending time when it’s just the two of us and capturing her creative ideas.  It took me a while to realize that my best images don’t come from my vision but from allowing things to happen naturally.




8. We all want to work on something or change something within our work or journey. Anything you are working to be better towards?

I’ve struggled with consistency in my editing/ spending too much time getting images to look the way I want.  I just recently took an editing workshop with Roxanne Bryant and it has made a huge difference for me. The way she breaks down color theory and how colors relate to each other is truly eye opening….

 


9. What are your goals for the next year or two? Getting published, building or find a studio, traveling with your shoots, specific shoot you are trying to pull together? What are you up to?

My little ones are pretty demanding right now but I would love to have my work published, that is my one photography goal for this year!




10. We are huge on encouraging here. Can you please pick one photographer that is just starting out that is super talented, inspiring with not a big following that is trying to get their name out or that YOU think deserves to be seen and known. There are so many out there. Let's give them a little shout out. 

Katie Burns Photography She just recently started her photography page on Facebook and has a natural eye.  I really enjoy her work, check it out



I hope you enjoyed reading about Beth and looking at her amazing, inspiring work as much as we did. Please go show her page some love as well as her shout out artist. Thank you. Until next time, XOXO! ~Amber