Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Inspiration Monday...Featured photographer!

Sorry the post is a little late.We were out all day yesterday at the beach with the kiddos. Let's jump right in and read a bit about Mary Katherine Photography




 How did you come up with your business name?

Well, like most photographers, it’s my name! When I was born, my mama wanted people to call me by my first and middle name, Mary Katherine. Over time and as I grew older though, Katherine sort of fell off and now I go by Mary. I wanted a name for my business that I didn’t just “make up.” So it fits me!




 What brought you to photography?

I have always been obsessed with pictures. Once my children were born, I reeeallllyyyy got obsessed. I got a Canon Powershot for Christmas when my first daughter was a baby, and it has grown from there.




 What do you like to shoot?

I started out doing mini sessions and offering fabulous deals, whether it was families, children, couples…. however, I realized that wasn’t really my niche. I have found love in photography as an art… photographing my children and our lives. As a business, I offer lifestyle photography sessions, and some boudoir! I LOVE shooting boudoir! And I just got my feet wet with film! It’s fun!




 who is you favorite muse?

I want to say all of my children… (my hubby and I have 4 between the both of us)... but I would have to say my youngest daughter Heidi is probably the most inspirational because she is still so tiny. She is 3 years old, so innocent, and lets me take her picture more than the other three! 




 What is in your camera bag?

Canon 6d, 24-105 L mm, 50 mm 1.8, 20 mm, 70-300 mm, Lensbaby Muse, Speedlite flash, lots of memory cards, a camera strap from Etsy, Canon AE-1 program, Porta 400 film, black and white film, 35 mm, 100-200 mm, filters




 What type of camera bag do you rock?

a brown leather Shutterbag




photoshop or Lightroom?

Lightroom for sure!







 Jpeg or Raw?


RAW but convert to Jpeg after I’m all done in LR




 In three words only how would you describe your photography style?

soft, crisp, real




 Top 2 favorite photographers and why?

Meg Bitton - love her style, softness, and amazing work!
Jennifer Warthan from Warthan Farms Photography - she has not only photographed my own boudoir session but she is a friend too! She is from the same hometown that I am and her work has inspired me over the years! 




 Favorite season to shoot and why?

Hmm I would have to say the Fall. I love all of the colors. 




 what is your non photography related down fall? (example:  chocolate, soda..)

an ice cold beer! 




 What is your most embarrassing moment at a shoot to date?

Probably not having a family show up at all! They were a no show and I never got any response from them at all as to why they didn’t come! 




 What is your one best piece of advice to give someone just starting out?

Try different things. It is going to take a while to figure out who you are behind the camera. Over time, it will become more comfortable and you will have that “A-ha!” moment where you realize “This is ME.” 




 If you weren't photographer what would you be, any dream careers?

Well, I am also an early childhood education director. That’s what I went to college for… I have my BA in Early Childhood Education Administration. So in reality… my dream career IS photography. Maybe one day photography will be all I do! 




 What is your goal for photography for the next 3 years?

To get my work seen. I would LOVE to be featured in a photography magazine. I am planning on submitting some of my work to a local Art show in May. 






To continue to follow Mary's work check out her Facebook page Mary Katherine Photography. Go show her some love. Until next time, XOXO