Monday, January 27, 2014

Monday's Inspiration

       This weeks Monday inspiration comes from Ann Woodard of Ann Woodard, Photographer Her work is clean, real and organic. Her simple but stunning images just capture the essence of the littles and makes you want to see more. The world needs to see her work. so sit back grab a cup of coffee and lets learn a bit about Ann, Enjoy!


1. How did you come up with your business name?

When I started a FB page to showcase my work, I wanted something different from my name but I was not sure I wanted to have a business yet.  I thought Ann Woodard, Photographer sounded more like an artist than a business name.  Now that I take clients, I feel it reflects my focus.  I don't want to be reproducing the same work like a business - I want to be creating new art for each client.  






2. What brought you to photography?

I've always loved a great image but didn't know how to create it.  The word "photographer" always had such a mystique for me. In college, without any experience, I thought I could be the photographer for the school paper.  They gave me a camera and asked me to take shots of a volleyball game.  I felt so cool with that big camera, clicking away on auto like a maniac.  Then I turned in the camera and they never called me again!  Flash forward 10 years and the birth of my second boy.  My good friend Leslie at Leslie Densford Photography inspired me to take my D90 off of manual.  I felt so empowered!  I also loved playing with the images in my editing program - after that I was hooked.  That was a year ago this month!  




 3. What do you like to shoot?

These images are from my first newborn session a couple weeks ago.  It was really hard but I just love these pictures so much.  I really like shooting newborn and family lifestyle.  I like child portraiture too - their skin is just so gorgeous and those big eyes!  

4. who is you favorite muse?

My sons for sure.  






5. What is in your camera bag?

My D700 and 50mm 1.4 AF-D.




6 What type of camera bag do you rock?

Janine King from Etsy.  






7. photoshop or Lightroom?

Just LR.  






8. Jpeg or Raw?

RAW, baby!






9. In three words only how would you describe your photography style?

organic, bright, evolving...






10. Top 2 favorite photographers and why?

John Dolan Photographer is definitely the pinnacle of the profession to me.  He's all film (recently shot Kate Bosworth's wedding for Martha Stewart, Weddings ) - check out his portfolio "Olivia."  He's done dreamy film shots of his daughter from childhood to adulthood.  She is gorgeous and the pictures are so real but haunting.  Wow.  Shelby Brakken Photography in Portland - oh man, her colors and in-home lifestyle shoots are gorgeous.




11. Favorite season to shoot and why?

 Winter, the light just seems so crisp and clear.




12. what is your non photography related down fall? (example:  chocolate, soda..)

Facebook.

13. What is your most embarrassing moment at a shoot to date?

At this newborn shoot, I was bending over for a good 5 minutes with the parents behind me, holding the half-asleep baby in position for him to settle himself before I realized that my shirt and jeans didn't quite cover me, if you catch my drift.  Oh well, anything for the shot?





14. What is your one best piece of advice to give someone just starting out?

Find your own voice and trust it.  It really takes practicing every day, in all sorts of different scenarios.  Make your own presets.    






15. If you weren't photographer what would you be, any dream careers?

I would teach European History at a university, preferably Oxford. :) 






16. What is you goal for photography for the next 3 years?

Build my business and maybe explore film more. Finish my website already!  I also need a portfolio critique.  And practice practice practice!





If you are interested in seeing more from Ann and following her beautiful work you can follow her Facebook page here,  Ann Woodard, Photographer and website you can find here:  annwoodard.com

I hope you enjoyed our inspiration Monday. Until next time, thank you. Lots of love, Amber xoxo