Monday, January 20, 2014

Inspiration Monday

Katy Zimmerman Photography

               Todays featured work is simply gorgeous. Her work is real, simple, soft, organic and clean. Her work with children is precious and brings you to wanting to see more. She captures real emotions in her subjects and her processing is stunning. I am very excited to show you this session of hers. It is simply beautiful. So lets jump right in and learn more about Katy. 

How did you come up with your business name?   

              It was a three way split. My mom gets the credit for my first name and my husband's lineage for the last. After a fierce brainstorming session I added photography on the end.  All joking aside I toiled for weeks debating between using my name or something different. I favor simplicity in all things and so, Katy Zimmerman Photography was born.

What brought you to photography?

              For as long as I can remember I've been attempting to capture the beauty I see in this world behind the lens. At first it was cataloging life as a child, mountains, vacations. Later as a mother with a desire to hold tightly to every precious moment. Photography to me is more than the pursuit of a technically perfect image. With a camera I capture history today and it will last forever. I have actual magical powers.




What do you like to shoot?

           The essence of a person ad relationships between people. The perfect, real smile of joy on a child's face or the nuance of a mother rocking her child as only she can.

Who is your favorite muse?

           My youngest son Oliver. While his brother is at school we go somewhere new and I practice as often as he'll let me.




What is in your camera bag?

           canon 6D, 85mm 1.8, and a 24-70mm f2 on loan from a very generous fellow photographer. My next addition will be a 35.



           
What type of camera bag do you rock?

          Oh boy, it's an ugly ole Lowerpro. I'm hoping to update soon but I'd rather have a new glass than a bag sooo I am currently rocking the old one.




Photoshop or Lightroom?

           A few months ago I would have said lightroom but I am currently digging into photoshop and using both within my workflow. Only time will tell I suppose. 




Jpeg or Raw?

        Raw

In three words only how would you describe your photography style?

        Simple, honest evanescent moments.




Top two favorite photographers and why?

         For me this is constantly changing. But for today... Susie Ziemki and Ana Myer.  Susie's composition and use of light are pure perfection. Ana's creative eye and editing prowess make her work stand out from so many others in my opinion. 




Favorite season to shoot and why?

         I'm currently loving the coolness and contrast of winter. But give me colorful flowers come spring time and I will probably change my mind.  As a creative soul and natural light photographer I am grateful for the constantly evolving backdrops. Green all year round would get old. 




What is your non photography related downfall? (Example: chocolate, soda)

           Fried pickles. Aaaaamazing! If I find them on  a menu I have to order them. There is no other option.

What is your most embarrassing moment at a shoot to date?

          Once I neglected to call ahead to ensure the shoot location would be open at sunset when we agreed to meet. And it was closed! Ooops! Fortunately I knew the area and we found a perfect spot just around the corner.




What is your one best piece of advice giving someone just starting out?

         Keep shooting. Keep learning. The best way to grow is to figure it out on your own. Also shoot raw and by kelvin.

If you weren't a photographer what would, any dream careers? 

        One year ago I wasn't a photographer, I was a marketer. This is my dream come true. I don't feel like I've worked a day yet. I'm enjoying every single moment. I had no idea I could love work this much.




What is your goal in photography for the next three years?

To make every photo a little bit better than the last. To enrich other's by capturing their honest evanescent moments that they can cherish forever.




Thank you so much to Katy. and if you are interested in following her beautiful work check out her Facebook page here,  Katy Zimmerman Photography